Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Season 5 Episode 55: React Quotes

I first must address something that has bothered Jaded Bitterman throughout the posting of these blogs. It's called On Demand. It's only available if you have Satan running your cable (comcast). Personally, I rock the Direct TV, therefor, no early episodes for me unless I catch them over at Twin Dragon Studio in PET NW DC. I will admit I have watched a few ones early, but I know most of you do so before even reading these posts. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Now, on to the episode. Overall I get the feeling that most people aren't going to call this the best of the seasons on The Wire. That being said, I'll take a lesser season of the show against any other show on television. We start with the first of what I like to call "fuckin with my head" scenes. Opening in the lovely (and former running area of yours truly) Patterson Park we have Vondas and Marlo making friends. As Chris and Marlo walk away, we see what I swear is a smile on Marlo's face. A fuckin smile! He talks about the crown he assumes he has just accrued and hitting AC (that's Atlantic City for all you non-Jersey hoppers). Then we see Marlo and Chris visiting Chris's people and my head was all fucked up again. Marlo smiling, Chris playing with his child. This humanizing if throwing me off. I also sense a leak in the damn that is the connection between Chris and Marlo. Chris didn't like the AC idea, didn't want it to take more than a couple of weeks, and previously had made comments to Snoop about Marlo wanting things and to Slim about Marlo's conversational techniques. So what fucks with me is, is Marlo finally happy? Hells no, that heartless bastard is going to fall. And you know who I think it is...

If you still don't think that Herc and his camera are not going to bring Marlo down then I suggest you watch another show. I believe in previous posts I have suggested as much, including the Herc-->Carver-->Lestor connection. Well, it's on.

"There's a big world out there. Or so they tell me."

"Like, how do I get from here to there?"

Dukie is the new Bubs in a lot of ways. The down-and-out character who we adore and root for but who can never seem to catch a break. But unlike Bubs, Dukie does have people around him trying to help and I am totally psyched that Michael took him to Cutty (their glance at each other needed no words, it was powerful enough). Perhaps it will be my boy Cutty that finally helps Dukie get to that place. At least Michael is mature enough to see that he can't teach Dukie how to be on the streets--and that Dukie is not made for them either. I can only hope that this leads to Dukie finding his way. He knows computers, probably better than most around him. Could they find a job for him in the non-profit sector? Carver? Prez (as his assistant or something? I don't know...SOMETHING FOR DUKIE???)

The news room, Templeton, and now McNutty tied up in it all. After watching them both manipulate their stories to their managers with false interviews, wire taps, and phone calls, I realized something about McNutty: from his going to the judge in season one to get things rolling, to him sending that nautical fax in season two to get that rolling, to this newspaper/serial killer apparition, I wondered why hadn't McNutty gone to the press seasons ago? It seems like the most obvious way to get attention for any sort of cause--good or bad. What mostly gets failed to be realized in this plot line is the motivation behind his actions. We see "serial killer" and we think the writers have gone all Law and Order on us. I don't see it that way. I think what they are showing is that desperate times call for desperate measures. McNutty and by extension, Freemon, have been "forced" to go this route because there is no other way. As for Templeton, well, fuck him. He is a self-motivated asshole and only hopes to gain something for himself. At least McNutty is actually trying to solve real life murders. Finally, how hot is his ex-wife and former Homicide detective?

When McNutty visits her--and realizes how bad of a parent he is--there is a quick reference to a great DC-related band, Dead Meadow, from his kids ("what ever happened to The Ramones"--answered with a look of confusion). The reason I bring this up is because Jaded Bitterman needs to give some shot outs in regards to this band. It was Dirty One Kanobi/Senator Terrov from Bmore that introduced Jaded Bitterman to CG1 from DC. When Jaded and CG1 first met, the first "burned" CD handed to him by CG1 was...Dead Meadow. Just a cool semi-connection.

Omar Pulls a Michael Meyers.

First, how bad was that play Omar made? Staking out Monk's place for that long did he not think the dogs would be ready for him? Donnie insinuated as much, and I guess Omar was simply ready for it. When he finally did make his move, Donnie falls and Omar is in an array of bullet fire (including, damn it, Michael Lee) which should have killed him three times over. Then he jumps out of a second or third story window and shizam!...Michael Meyers, I mean, Omar is gone like Keyser Sose. I am really not sure what to make of that scene except I was disappointed on many levels. First, like in Lebowski, I didn't like seeing Donnie go. Second, I really think Omar should have died in that scene because I don't see how he realistically could have survived unless that couch was made of teflon. And finally, that Omar didn't at least get to kill ONE of Marlo's peeps.

No shows: Prez, Randy (though I saw him in the preview for next week), Namond, Bunny, and Rawls.

Predictions: Since I know most of you already watched the sixth episode, I'll keep my predictions to a minimum based upon the previews. Bunk goes at Randy for info on Lex's murder so he can work the case while Lestor works Marlos phone. As for that weird ass sound coming from the wire once Marlo made the call to Vondas, I can only assume it is some sort of secure phone line that either scrambles the call or lets The Greeks know that Marlo is coming for a meeting. Omar is making a run at Marlo's crew, I just can't decide who he is going to get, but I will make a bold statement and say I am at the point where I think Michael Lee needs to get got.

CLAY DAVIS FOREVER!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, like in Lebowski, I didn't like seeing Donnie go. Great line...

Disagree that bubs has no one around him to help it's just that we never saw bubs entering the using phase. Cause his sister let him stay with her back in the day.
If Dukie starts using and fucks up like bubs, you think Michael will still be there? If Dukie fucks up with bug then Dukie is out...

Agree with you about the Omar shootout. I was expecting him to become invisible or to have the bullets bounce off his chest. Though honestly, he's now survived dozens of shootouts. Maybe it's a misunderstood skill.

Also, think the weird think noise from Marlo's phone was him texting or sending data somehow.

Anonymous said...

Sheeeeeeeeeeeet!

I have to say that I have fallen prey to 'On-Demand' and I have watched Episode 6. Where is Omar? You are like Marlo and his crew in the sense that none of you know.

Props to you for the Herc connection. We all know Prop Joe is dead so I am going to go ahead and give you a new name 'Props Jaded.' I didn't think it was going to happen but at this point it looks clear with Lestor getting up on the show's namesake.

That is all I can say since I don't want to throw any spoilers to you and your faithful readers. I kind of think of spoilers the same way Herc tells Carver about where he got Marlo's cellphone number.

"Don't ask. Don't tell. Its like one of those guys that sucks dick in the Army."

Anonymous said...

When I first heard the sound coming from Marlo's phone, it sounded like a fax signal. Don't know but definitely something scrambled and must be something simple to learn since the Greek dude showed Marlo and he seemed to understand immediately.

Yeah, this episode didn't leave me feeling great. It's getting a little unreal (for the Wire unreal) or feeling a little off track from what's in been in past seasons. Like they're trying to shove too much in but this time it's not working as well. I hope it comes back around and goes out with a (good) bang.

Oh, and one last thing... Levy's comment to Herc about Prop Joe bringing him Marlo "just in time." I think Prop Joe had an ulterior motive. I think there's more behind that... not just Prop Joe being nice. I think he wanted Marlo to start a "trail."

Jaded Bitterman said...

A few people I have spoken to have addressed the Levy comment about Joe giving them Marlo "just in time." At first, I thought it WAS some sort of set-up. But after watching it again, I think the comment is there to show us nothing more than the greed that is Levy. He doesn't care about his clients, he cares about how much money they are going to bring him. With Marlo on a phone, Levy assumes its just a matter of time before the bigger legal bills start flowing.

As for the Greekphone. It is obviously some secure signal to communicate and probably wont take Lestor too long to figure it out. It might slow him up, but he is still on to Marlo--and on to him with a hard on.