Monday, January 7, 2008

Season 5 Episode 51: Do More With Less

Always a fan of the Bunk, I was pleased to see season 5 start off with a nice dialogue between Bunk and #1 male. The scene really was a great mix of both humor and sadness. Funny how they played those kids and sad that these kids are so easily manipulated that they would think a copy machine is a lie detector test. That it printed out its answers was a hilarious touch. And the smoothness by which these cops manipulate makes you realize why they tell you to keep your mouth shut when arrested.

I felt overall that this episode was a set up for the rest of the season. We had the obvious introduction of the newsroom and seemed to have been introduced to most of its main players. Love seeing Clark Johnson in there, he's a nice addition to the cast with his deadpan delivery and wit. And once again we see how bureaucracy and politics can stifle anything from a murder investigation to a news report on a shady land deal.

What excites me most, still, about the show is the drug war storyline. Marlo is obviously up to something and is gearing up to make a move on Prop Joe. I predicted in a previous post that might be the case but also thought that Herc would be involved. How is this for a theory: in the preview episode "The Oddessy" they showed before season 5 started, there is a shot of both Herc and Prop Joe reading a newspaper in the same room with each other. It got me thinking, "why would Herc and Prop Joe be in the same room together in that manner?" At first I assumed Joe was arrested and Herc was interrogating him. Now we see that Herc is in fact working for Levy as an investigator. So...could it be that Chris is after Sergie to get a direct connect with The Greeks or to make a move on Prop Joe? Could Joe be visiting with Levy when Herc finally puts the pieces together and realizes he now works for the drug kingpin attorney of Bmore? You think Herc wont run across Marlo's name somehow and think "that motherfucker owes me a camera." And yea, he makes his cash now, but Herc is still a man with a hot head. David Simon did say that a character is going to "redeem" themselves this season. I think the obvious choice is Bubbles (how great is it that we found out his real name after all this time? Reginald. How about "Reginalds Depot"...just doesn't sound as good as "Bubbles Depot") but something tells me Herc is going to have a moment of clarity and help to bring down Marlo.

Michael Lee and Dukie are full out in the game reaping the benefits of nice TV's and scooters. Michael still showing his devotion to both Bug and Dukie. While Dukie didn't seem too keen on moving off the corner, I think Michael realizes that Dukie is more valuable elsewhere. I still don't think it lasts though, Dukie and Michael are still going to step up.

Carcetti has grown into a full-blown real Mayor and seems about as high strung as they get these days. Norman...wow. I'm really starting to appreciate his character. "You just a weak ass Mayor in a broke ass city." Classic. I'm curious to see where this storyline is going to go but it's obvious the money issue is going to be major.

No Shows: Omar (but he rarely shows up in season openers), Cutty, Namond, Randy, Prez, and Colvin.

So while not much really happened in this episode I still feel it was solid because it was setting us up for the rest of the season. I hope the newsroom pans out and doesn't drag out. I hope McNulty does some crazy ass shit and I need, I repeat, need to see some Chris and Snoop shit go down because at least we know McNulty is on to them all now (and they to him). I sense a war brewing in the co-op with Marlo and Joe. I loved the look Cheese gave Marlo too. Something tells me he is going to make a move on Marlo. Something also tells me he ain't coming back alive from it.

You just know this though: Omar comin!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree on almost all that you said but I'm not sure how the Herc thing is gonna play out. I thought I recognized Haynes (Clark Johnson) -- didn't realize it was from Homicide until this morning. I think the Sun guy who wants more than a contrib line is going to play a big role somehow... they've set that up. No doubt McNulty will mess things up royaly - he's already well on his way. Oh, and what's up with Marlo visiting Avon in the previews for next wed. !!! not sure if you caught that or not.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say... preview for next sunday (not wed.). Still getting used to seeing the show in "real" time instead of renting the season.

Anonymous said...

Kudos for a shout out to Norman! This episode had a classic drunk McNulty scene -- goes to the pay phone to lie to his wife goes to dig a quarter out of his pocket and finds his cell phone. Subtle and hilarious. Speaking fo subtle -- "Puts the B in Sublte" - Herc modeling his new threads was funny too.

--UNDERCAST

Anonymous said...

i was not able to see the previews. but damn, i need to in order to make more predictions. But i would think that Marlo visiting Avon is more about the gaining of information about the past dealings with Prop Joe. You see, Marlo has Chris investigating Sergie, who has ties to the Greeks, while he goes after info from Avon. Maybe trying to bring Avon back by getting him to give up Prop Joe. Right now, its all about Prop Joe.