Monday, January 28, 2008

Season 5 Episode 54: Transitions

"I wasn't made to the play the son."

And with his usual calculated coldness Marlo Stanfield has moved up yet another rung in the ladder. Once The Greeks insinuated they might be able to do business with the street king, combined with the off-shore account set up and Levy introduction, Marlo finally made his much anticipated move on Prop Joe. The murder wasn't shocking, but Cheese turning in his blood was. "The boy always was a disappointment."

I feel the need to discuss Prop Joe here a little further. First, he has always had some of the best lines on the show, but this particular episode really had him shinning. While discussing the history and passing of Butchie, "he quieter than a puppy walking on cotton." While writing the note for the flowers for Butchie's funeral, "Woe to any man who calls evil good, and good evil." I am so glad that Simon used Joe's last moments to have him shine one last time. Just so very sad that such a smart (and relatively non-violent) man such as Joe would be so blind to the moves being made by Marlo. Did he really think his education of Marlo would change him for the better?

"Sweet Jesus I'm gonna do them." And with that line, finally, Omar is back. Being the smart player he is, he crew's up, starts scouting the Marlo crew, and is making his plans to hurt some of his people so the "snake pops his head above ground." The previews show a shootout between Omar, Chris, and Snoop. I really hope that if Chris or Snoop (or Omar) get got, that it isn't during a shootout. I think Chris needs to die Tarantino style, like Drexel in True Romance. Die with a gun in his face being forced to look into the eyes of his killer and know the reasons for his death. Same goes for Snoop. They just need to die.

Burrell finally went down as well, but I must say his final speech to Rawls about what it's like to run the department was great dialogue. Perhaps we saw what actually made Burrell the man in the first place: a willingness to carry the burden of the politicians. "Get elected Mayor and suddenly you know police work." It was a great scene and almost made me sympathize with Burrell.

Did anyone else catch the shore man from season 2 at the homeless pit? He was the guy with the dog drinking a bottle. He was the kid who stole the cars with Ziggy in season two and was in on the capers. As well, the flower shop guy was back too. I think in season one he was there when Bodie came in to buy flowers. I love how loyal and intricate the show is to throw back cast memebers like that.

McNulty and Lestor are up to the serial killer thing and it looks like they might start using the newspapers to help their cause. "Jamey and mouth wash, your scent." Beadie tells the scheming McNulty. She was and is too good for a fuck up like Jimmy.

I will say this again, Herc is going to be involved in the take down of Marlo. Once again, the camera is brought up and the show made a point of placing both men in the same room. No WAY that doesn't eventually eat at Herc. Does he go to Carver about Marlo and his money? Does Carver tell Bunk who tells Lestor who puts it in with his case? Does Kima find out and then get the little witness to agree to finger Chris and Snoop? I am not sure, but I am telling you that Herc is going to be involved in the play against Marlo's crew.

No shows: Bubs, Cutty, Randy, Namond, Colvin, and Prez. Starting to think the kids and Prez wont be shown till the season ending montage.

One last quick note/theme of the episode besides the obvious transitions (Burrell down, Prop Joe down). Stories of origin. Prop Joe giving us some background info on both Butchie and Burrell. Is there anyone Joe doesn't know? We learn how Butchies was blinded and we learn how dumb Burrell was in the Glee club. Good stuff.

I will go out on a not so long limb here and predict one or more of the following characters are going to die in episode 5: Cheese, Chris, Snoop, or Monk.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it just me or did Avon seem strange when dealing with marlo early in the season? I wasn't buying his whole west side act and I wondered if he wasn't setting marlo up. Granted this might be wishful thinking but that interaction rang false to me. Any thoughts?

Jaded Bitterman said...

A lot of people think that Avon is playing Marlo, but I am not one of them. A lot of people think that Avon is "coming back" and going to bring a reign of terror on Bmore. I don't think that either.

What was strange was that Avon would choose his loyalty to the west side over his hatred for Marlo and what Marlo essentially did to him. However, I don't think we are going to see Avon again. Marlo used him for information (through the Russian Sergie/"Boris") just like he used Prop Joe for the money set up.

I, like you, do wish that Avon would come out and take down Marlo--I just don't think it's going to happen.

Anonymous said...

Good eyes. I didn't recognize the shore man but i also didn't see it 2 times or more (darn on demand! ;). As far as Prop Joe goes... he tried one last time "Proposition for you..." And Cheese... don't even get me started on him. I'm going to give one idea that I'm thinking... Michael - they didn't spend a whole season on those kids for nuthin'. I think Michael is going to some how be Marlo's downfall. Not sure how but they keep showing him thinking things through, being smart, playing the game the right way. they show Dukie and Michael practicing shooting in the nest episode. Is Michael the next Avon? Prop Joe's death is going to spark people to choose sides and make Omar's job a little bit easier.

Anonymous said...

Prop Joe.

Part of me wants to think that Simon and crew would try to pull off one of those 'you didn't see prop joe get shot' but sadly I know that is not the case. I can't believe Cheese sold out his uncle after all the times Joe covered his ass.

One of the best characters in the entire series got got. I am really at a loss for words and don't have much to comment on this episode.

Oh except, there ain't no way Herc gives up his Mercedes over a camera. Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.

Anonymous said...

I think Herc will get the last laugh...he is going to find a way to get back at Marlo for sure...the fact that the camera "cost him the job" is still bothering him (in my opinion of course).

I still think that Avon is going to have to have a hand in the downfall of Marlo....at least I hope he does.

Marlo having Prop Joe killed is just the beginning of the end for him...I think that was his biggest mistake yet.

Even though I read alot of posts and articles about people thinking that Michael is going to be the next king, I just don't think that is going to happen. He just seems too torn about being the game altogether.

I know snoop and Chris are evil, but snoop is still one of my favorite characters on the show...when she goes, I hope she goes in grand fashion.

Can't wait for Omar to "work them"...it's going to be interesting...

Jaded Bitterman said...

I just saw the preview for Episode 5 and there is a scene of Herc talking to Carver at the station and handing him a yellow piece of paper and saying something along the lines of, "i know ive done wrong in the past and ive fucked up. but remember that i did this for you. youre my partner carv."

my prediction is going to come true: herc is going to give carver info on marlo, who will then give that info to lestor/bunk/mcnulty who will "chase the money" and bring marlo down.

hows this for prediction: the last shot we see of marlo is him walking into jessup in the jump suit to see avon smiling at him and marlo with a look of "ohhhh shit" on his face.